Sunday, September 14, 2014

There Goes the Neighborhood

It had been a normal day, up until we came in contact with people that would change the rest of our lives. I had been cooking fish that had been caught by the men earlier that day. As I was cooking, I realized that everyone began panicking. I looked up to find the women quivering behind their husbands. Everyone was looking in the same direction. I followed their gaze to find a swarm of strangers. They weren't natives, they looked very mysterious. I looked behind them to find a massive boat. It was made out of wood, and very well crafted. No member of the tribe had the abililty to create anything of that nature. That was the moment I had become interested in these men. The chief of our tribe stepped up towards the men, and one of their own did the same. The two exchanged words and our chief slowly walked back. The men had apparently been interested in our culture. They "wanted to learn about us." We taught them how to grow crops, how to prepare traditional meals, we even told them of our culture and traditions. In return, they provided us with more advanced tools for growing crops. Weeks would pass and it seemed as if more and more of them would just keep coming. The more of them, the less of us. Many of my people had been dying because of diseases brought by these settlers. One day, while I was out picking herbs, I smelled smoke. Alarmed, I ran back to find the entire village up in flames. As I turned, trying to run away, a settler grabbed me. He tied me up along with many others, including the chief. They made us slaves. They tortured us. They used us.

Today, we have problems like Native Americans did, but we react in a completely different manner. The Native Americans were very welcoming and were open to the idea of helping the settlers, even though they were strangers and very different. Today, I believe that we are very close minded. Many are accustomed to one way, and one way only. They believe that if a group doesn't have the same beliefs, then they are wrong. People aren't open to the idea of change, or differences. When it comes to religion, I believe that there should've even be a debate. Anyone should be allowed to believe what they want to believe in without being judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment