Sunday, March 29, 2015

Reservations

In "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," the main character, Junior, leaves the Indan reservation he lives on. He goes against tradition and what everyone believes is ethically right. This causes everyone to turn on Junior for a period of time. Everyone on the reservation was accustomed to having a specific life, but everyone's lives were the exact same. It was rare for anyone to leave the reservation, but Junior did so, very successfully both academically and athletically.
My neighborhood is somewhat like my reservation. Everyone around me does the same thing. Children attend either the neighborhood schools or the catholic schools for grammar school. Then, almost everyone attends the same highschools, the catholic ones. I, on the other hand did neither of these. I attended a gifted center for grammar school then went on to attend a selective enrollment highschool. This is a very unlikely path, coming from my neighborhood. This is much like Junior, and his decision to attend Reardan. His life was changed due to that, and hopefully mine will be as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment